Saturday, October 4, 2008

Kristina is 21!

We brought in Kristina's 21st year of life the "wiking" way! The weekend began at about 3 o'clock with a private tour of the Carlsberg brewery. Kristina's teacher, Neils, has some sort of connection to the brewery, so he showed us around to the largest beer bottle collection in the world and the most expensive beer in the world, the most beautiful distillery, a mini-Little Mermaid and lots of swastikas (they've been using it as a symbol since the late 1880s, and then to the bar. We could try any of the many, many beers, which we took full advantage of.

At about 7, we left the brewery and headed back to the kollegium. Alex and I picked up some drinks and Kristina got the pizza. As we were walking back, somehow it was a good idea to racewalk and thus the beginning of my racewalking career was ended with one skin-removing fall. That or, I prefer the version where I am Indiana Jones and the huge ball was coming for me, and when I ducked down in the ditch to let it go over me my hand skidded on the ground a little. Despite the blood and the ripped jean, the night continued. We ate dinner, made a cake and had some drinks before going out with some of the Danes.

We went to Wall Street Pub for the rest of the night. It was a pretty typical bar. I made friends with a Dane in an F&M shirt and his cousins. One of the cousins is a soldier who had just gotten back from Afghanistan.

But, the best part of the night, by FAR was the birthday tiara. Of course, in the Kingdom of Denmark, we couldn't find a tiara to save our lives-- but what we found was so...much...better. A WIKING HAT! Kristina definitely was a champ about it and made it so cool that everyone wanted to wear it, especially when it became adorned with Danish flags.

And now, all the fun is over as it is midterm week. I have so much to do on top of the fact that I need to continue working on finding a job and pack for THREE weeks of traveling. Way too much for one week, but I'm sure I will manage.

Other than these things, I'm still doing well. It definitely doesn't feel so foreign here anymore, and I'm really happy with my situation. Very excited to start traveling. I'll upload pictures tonight, so make sure to enjoy those!

No comments: