I was supposed to go to a club on Tuesday night, but we didn't end up going and will go later in September instead. This is with my class on Creative Industries. Then on Wednesday my life changed for the better. Besides the fact that one of the only six people in Denmark that work as Danish/Russian translators explained how subtitling works on Danish TV on our field trip to the top Danish TV station, I was introduced to heaven on earth...also referred to as Nutella.
The field trip was really interesting. We learned a lot about how Danish TV is set up and some of the challenges translators/subtitle-ers face. Like translating slang...and jokes...on the Simpsons. The guy I mentioned who is one of six Danish/Russian translators, Lars something or other, is the guy who translated when Reagan and Gorbachev had their talks. Kind of important.
Today in class I learned a million fascinating things about media and newspapers. I won't bore you all with the details, but I will mention one thing that stood out: even though readers insist that political and "important" stories be put on the front page, its more or less for show because the articles about strange octopuses or man-eating dogs are what attract readers. He suggested that there is a way to make a political story entertaining and journalists should strive to do that. He also referred to PBS as "TV that smells funny."
After class, I raced home and met Jane to go to the kommune where I applied for my CPR card. Its like a social security card and gives me access to health care as well as the library. Yay!
Then we ate bacon, sausage, fried potatoes, fried egg and shredded cabbage and carrots for dinner. And then the real fun began! We drove like crazy people to get to the TV studio in time to watch Sandhedens Time! It's the same show as in the state where someone is on the spot answering tough questions with yes or no. A lie detector is used to see if they are telling the truth and they can win money. The woman admitted to giving people compliments she didn't mean, stealing from work, telling people they had hygiene problems, taking naked pictures, not cheating on her ex, enjoying porn (which was first legalized in Denmark btw.), planning to say yes if her boyfriend proposed, making fun of disabled people (there was some link to someone with Downs Syndrome), planning to have an abortion if she found out she was pregnant with a disabled child...all of this to get out on lying about being attracted to other men while dating her boyfriend. She was up to 200,000 dkk and blew it.
They said they were putting things on youtube, so it might be worth a search later. I'll let you know what I find! But anyway, from the picture below, you can kind of see that I was right behind where the family sits. I'm thinking whenever they showed them, I'm probably on! Fun, fun.
The next picture is sort of random, but it was taken outfront of either a building for the U. of Copenhagen or their admin building. Usually these are busts of famous Danes, but today, they are robbers or skiiers? Note the black masks.
Tomorrow night I have a beer tasting, and this weekend is my trip to Sweden! You should probably look forward to seeing those pictures; I hear its quite lovely in Kullaberg.
2 comments:
Your "life changed for the better"?! you crack me up, Ms. Drama. So you've never had Nutella before?
I love that you keep your blog up to date, not like some of the sisters... ahem.
nutella? you're funny. you can get it at practically any grocery store in the states, ya know ;)
and, ahem, some of the seesters don't keep their blogs quite up to date b/c they have screaming babies vying for comfort and attention. don't know what the other slacker seesters have as an excuse though...
Post a Comment